Monday 3 October 2011

Overoptimism

Can project planning ever be realistic? I keep a spreadsheet with a list of projects that I would like to do and a neat Gantt chart showing when I plan to do them (surely a sign that I've written way to many fellowship proposals?). Had a look at it today and realised that I have scheduled myself to work on eight projects in the next 15 months. Hmm…

But even though I don't for a second believe that I will be able to do everything, I like having an ambitious plan. When I get stuck on one particular analysis I take a peek at the chart and daydream about all the marvellous science I'm going to do as soon as I finish [insert troublesome project with no results, violated assumptions and heaps of technical problems].

I guess I must be a very sad person for being motivated by a multi-coloured graph.

No comments:

Post a Comment